Brenzett Aero Museum is some 5 miles from Dungeness and is located in former WW2 buildings on what was a 300 acre site developed as an advanced landing ground in September 1943. The first aircraft to use the base were Spitfire IX’s of 122 Squadron. Later they were joined by 129 Squadron and two Polish Squadrons – 306 and 315.
The museum, which is a registered charity, contains many artifacts of the era and is well worth a visit. Run by volunteers all donations go to the upkeep. And donations can be in the form of hardware – the last being an aircraft machine gun with live ammo ‘up the spout’ and caught in the nets of a local fishing boat.